The State Technical College of Missouri prepares students for profitable employment and a life of learning.
State Technical College of Missouri, as the premier public institution of technical education supporting economic development in the state of Missouri, is dedicated to serving the state’s diverse population. As a student-centered education community, the institution maximizes students’ learning potential by providing them with specialized knowledge in traditional and emerging technical areas as well as general knowledge that fosters a life of learning.
The State Technical College of Missouri is an associate degree and certificate granting institution with open/selective enrollment and a mission focusing on access to highly specialized technical education in both emerging and traditional technologies. The State Technical College of Missouri prepares students for profitable employment and a life of learning. Profitable employment is self-employment and entrepreneurship as well as working for an employer. The mission is accomplished within the charges of the legislative mission.
1. State Technical College of Missouri shall be a special purpose institution that shall make available to students from all areas of the state exceptional educational opportunities through highly specialized and advanced technical education and training at the certificate and associate degree level in both emerging and traditional technologies with particular emphasis on technical and vocational programs not commonly offered by community colleges or area vocational technical schools. Primary consideration shall be placed on the industrial and technological manpower needs of the state. In addition, State Technical College of Missouri is authorized to assist the state in economic development initiatives and to facilitate the transfer of technology to Missouri business and industry directly through the graduation of technicians in advanced and emerging disciplines and through technical assistance provided to business and industry. State Technical College of Missouri is authorized to provide technical assistance to area vocational technical schools and community colleges through supplemental on-site instruction and distance learning as such area vocational technical schools and community colleges deem appropriate.
2. Consistent with the mission statement provided in subsection 1 of this section, State Technical College of Missouri shall offer vocational and technical programs leading to the granting of certificates, diplomas, and applied science associate degrees, or a combination thereof. State Technical College of Missouri may offer associate of arts or baccalaureate degrees only when authorized by the coordinating board for higher education in circumstances where the level of education required in a field for accreditation or licensure increases to the baccalaureate degree level or, in the case of applied bachelor’s degrees, the level of education required for employment in a field increases to that level, and when doing so would not unnecessarily duplicate an existing program, collaboration with a university is not feasible or the approach is not a viable means of meeting the needs of students and employers, and the institution has the academic and financial capacity to offer the program in a high-quality manner. Quality for such baccalaureate degree programs shall be evaluated at least in part by delivery of upper-level coursework or competencies, and defined by accreditation or compliance with the Higher Learning Commission standards for bachelor’s degrees. State Technical College of Missouri shall also continue its role as a recognized area vocational technical school as provided by policies and procedures of the state board of education.” Mo. Rev. Stat. § 178.636
The State Technical College of Missouri, as the premier public institution of technical education supporting economic development in the state of Missouri, is dedicated to serving the state’s diverse population. As a student-centered education community, the institution maximizes students’ learning potential by providing them with specialized knowledge in traditional and emerging technical areas as well as general knowledge that fosters a life of learning.
Linn Technical Junior College and later Linn Technical College (1968), supported by a grant to the Osage County R-II School District from the National Defense Education Act of 1958, offered its first program in electronics in the fall of 1961. By 1965 the College was awarded the status of an Area Vocational Technical School by the Missouri State Board of Education through the federal Vocational Education Act of 1963. In 1991, statutory authority was established for the granting of associate degrees and certificates. In 1995, Senate Bill 101 created “Linn State Technical College.” The College continued to be governed by the Osage County R-II School Board until July 1, 1996 when the Board of Regents accepted full responsibility for the institution as Linn State Technical College. It became Missouri's first and only public institution devoted solely to technical education at the Associate of Applied Science level. In 2013, House Bill 673 changed the name of the institution to “State Technical College of Missouri” effective July 1, 2014. This change better reflects the institution’s statewide role in technical education
To fulfill our mission and to achieve our vision, State Technical College of Missouri values the following:
In pursuit of its mission the College sets forth the following institutional goal statements:
1. Mission Review and Implementation
2. Organization and Governance
3. Policies and Procedures
6. Student Services and Activities
7. Human Resources
8. Campus and Facilities
10. Assessment of Student Learning
11. Student Learning Outcomes
13. Positioning for the Future
 Approved by State Technical College of Missouri Board of Regents – January 17, 2014